UKRI & UK SBS Joint Privacy Notice
UKRI contact details
David Hyett (Data Protection Officer)
Head of Information Governance
UK Research and Innovation
UK SBS contact details
Data Protection Officer
UK Shared Business Services
When we say 'we' or 'us' in this notice, we are referring to both UK Research and Innovation (UKRI - which brings together seven research councils, Innovate UK and Research England), and UK Shared Business Services (UK SBS – who provide shared and specialist business services to our public sector owners - supporting them to achieve the best outcomes for UK society and the economy).
UK Research and Innovation and UK Shared Business Services are joint data controllers of your personal information. Our registered offices are: Polaris House, Swindon SN2 1FL, and Polaris House, Swindon SN2 1FF respectively.
The type of personal information we collect and why we process your personal information.
We currently collect and process the following information:
- Personal identifiers, contacts and characteristics: Name, contact details, information about your education, details about previous employment and experience, details of referees.
- Information provided by you on a voluntary basis, about your ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation and age.
If you receive a conditional offer of employment, we will collect further information in order to conduct pre-employment screening and check you have the right to work in the recruiting country. This includes:
- Information about health which is assessed by an occupational health provider to confirm your fitness to work.
- Proof of your identity and right to work in the UK
- Bank details (so we can pay you and manage your tax and national insurance contributions)
We will also use the information you have provided to enrol you with our pension provider (see “Sharing your personal information” below).
We also require you to complete a criminal records declaration form and we will use a third party such as the Disclosure and Barring Service, to check for any unspent convictions. Some positions require additional checks with third parties such as animal rights and credit checks.
Sharing your personal information
We may share your personal information in certain scenarios. For example, if we are required to by law, under any code of practice by which we are bound or where we are asked to do so by a public or regulatory authority such as the police or the Department for Work and Pensions.
We may also share your personal information if we need to do so in order to exercise or protect our legal rights, users, systems and services.
Your information may also be shared in response to requests from individuals (or their representatives) seeking to protect their rights or the rights of others. We will only share your personal information in response to requests which do not override your privacy interests.
We use the following data processors to help us manage the recruitment process:
Occupational Health screening
UK Visa and Immigration
We also use Taleo which is the platform for managing recruitment, along with other third-party suppliers of IT services and software.
Our lawful basis for processing
Under the Data Protection legislation, the lawful bases we rely on for processing this information are:
- We have a contractual obligation: Our main lawful basis for processing the information you have provided as part of the recruitment process is because it is necessary to do so for us to enter into an employment contract with you.
- We have a legal obligation: We also process your information where we have a legal obligation to do so for example, to check you have the right to work in the UK. Where we collect special category data, this is generally because we have a legal obligation to do so and the additional conditions we must satisfy are because there is a substantial public interest in us doing so or a condition under employment, social security and social protection law.
- We need it to perform a public task: We process your information where it is necessary for us to conduct a task in the public interest such as when we carry out vetting to seek assurance as to trustworthiness, integrity and reliability or on criminal convictions and offences.
- We have a Legitimate interest to do so: We rely on legitimate interests for reporting purposes and have conducted a legitimate interests assessment.
- Consent: You have told us you are happy for us to process your personal information for a specific purpose. We rely on consent for the external sourcing account and candidate profile, including job alerts.
How we store your personal information and for how long.
Your information is stored securely on Oracle’s UK Gov Cage and the servers are based in the UK
We will keep your personal information for the purposes set out in this notice and in accordance with the law and relevant regulations. We will never retain your personal information for longer than is necessary. If there hasn't been activity on your candidate profile for 12 months, your data will automatically be deleted, should you want your details removed before this time you can deactivate your account in your candidate profile. Please note doing so will withdraw all active applications.
Your data protection right
Under data protection law, you have rights including:
Your right of access
- You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information.
Your right to rectification
- You have the right to ask us to rectify personal information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
Your right to erasure
- You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances.
Your right to restriction of processing
- You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
Your right to object to processing - You have the the right to object to the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
Your right to data portability - You have the right to ask that we transfer the personal information you gave us to another organisation, or to you, in certain circumstances.
You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.
Please use the contact details above if you wish to make a request.
How to contact us
If you have any concerns about our use of your personal information, you can make a complaint to UKRI at: email@example.com
or to UK SBS at: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also contact the ICO if you are unhappy with how we have used your data.
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
ICO website: https://www.ico.org.uk